In a new post, list ten FICS that have stayed with you in some way. Don’t take but a few minutes, and don’t think too hard — they don’t have to be the “right” works, or even all the same pairing or fandom, just the fics that have touched you or that stuck with you somehow.
(Nabbed this from intrigueing
There are a whole assortment of fics I could maybe sort-of reference, like the "We've always been cousins" Merry/Pippin fic, and a long LotR self-insert fanfiction whose name and author I can't really remember, but this list is limited to things I could track down or recall at least enough to title.
1. The Heart Wants What It Wants by MandyQ
A Lucius/Narcissa romance, which, in my memory, was slow, well-characterised, and thoughtful. I have no idea whether it holds up today, but fourteen-year-old me was really struck by it.
2. Doctor Who Season Four by aria
A long plotty Doctor/Master fic - ultimately a fix-fic for season three, wherein the Master lives and is taken in by the Doctor, and plot ensues.
3. the naming of things by aria
The Academy-era Doctor Who fic to which all other Doctor/Master fics are compared to. Possibly my favourite fic ever.
4. Chosen Man by sineala
I loved Eagle of the Ninth as a child, and when I recently discovered that it had long slow-burn plotty romance fanfiction, I was beyond delighted.
5. The Not Remotely Secret Memoirs of Alexander the Great, Aged 13¾ by arysteia
Alexander the Great writes an arrogant self-absorbed teenage diary and wishes he was Achilles. I feel like the premise is unique enough on its own.
6. Unsteady Ground by Lisse
The Hetalia/1984 crossover you never knew you wanted and still have nightmares about.
7. Steinway!verse by toomuchplor
A long Arthur/Eames series. They're both music students. This one sticks in my head because it was the first fic a very good friend of mine recommended to me.
8. No Sleepers Must Sleep and Like a Ruthless Force by Fahye
Lucy Saxon has a story, and also agency. This is one of those things I never realised Doctor Who series 3 was missing until I found.
9. Mal du siècle by ColonelDespard
I am not usually one for the tragic, and god knows Les Mis doesn't need bonus tragedy, but, um, this one just worked for me.
10. This last one I cannot currently find, but it was a fic in which the Master travelled back in time to seduce a young Doctor by way of pretending to be his lecturer. I think time travel used for totally devious purposes just stuck with me.