So it turned out to be Harry Potter in French.
On a fini toutes nos provisions et vous avez l'air d'en avoir encore.
(My French is virtually non-existant but with dictionary assistance "We have finished all our provisions and you seem to have more."??)
Okay, my 2017 is....maybe about redistribution of wealth. Long live the revolution etc.
ETA: if dhampyresa from whom I got this meme makes the rules, I also get an English book!
From Art and Architecture: Louvre
"Its members immediately began some intensive work, which at first was not primarily devoted to the country's archaeological remains."
Let's start 2017 off in a positive way with a Pay It Forward meme. The first 6 people to comment (and more if I can manage it) will receive a surprise from me at some point in 2017 - anything from a book, a ticket, something home-grown or made, a postcard, absolutely any surprise! It will happen when the mood comes over me and I find something that I believe would suit you and make you happy.
(If you don't like surprises and would rather have something off a wishlist and/or some warning, let me know in your comment. The goal is to make you happy.)
If you can, post this in your own journal and pay it forward. Let's do more kind and loving things for each other in 2017, without any reason other than to make each other smile and show that we think of each other.
- I am in a relationship! This is recent news, hence the excitement. We look forward to queering up each other's family events.
- This weekend I'm going away on camp with my board games club.
- I have had hair waist length or longer for most of my life. I am finally beginning to get sick of it.
- It is still winter in my city, just verging on spring, and it refuses to get warm.
- My mum is one of ten siblings.
- A friend has started teaching me Ancient Greek. I am excited.
- The first novel I ever tried to write starred a girl named Avaliana and her younger brother Sam.
- I am very surprised about how invested in the Captain America movies I became.
- On Sunday I did a lot of research into the eyesight of seals.
- I am learning Irish on Duolingo.
- Also my university (the one I graduated from, which I love dearly) is running free Auslan (Australian Sign Language) classes. My friends and I have deemed our most important vocab items learnt so far to be "queer", "revolution" and "pub".
- I have never been to Europe.
- I wear a lot of colours.
- I have no idea what I'm doing with my life.
- I have a deep and abiding love for pickled ginger.
- I started learning ballet when I was 19. I hope to have my first pair of pointe shoes this year.
- I also started learning gymnastics at 22. I learnt to do a backflip this year.
- I have a smallish frame and big boobs. This makes buying comfy bras an eternal and usually fruitless quest.
- I am the only person in my household who doesn't wear glasses.
- I spent the afternoon reading letters Lenin sent to his family from his Siberian exile at the turn of the century.
- In my garden this year, I grew purple carrots!
- My first fandom was the Lord of the Rings.
- My keyring has a miniature chess set attached to it.
(Nabbed this from intrigueing
There are a whole assortment of fics I could maybe sort-of reference, like the "We've always been cousins" Merry/Pippin fic, and a long LotR self-insert fanfiction whose name and author I can't really remember, but this list is limited to things I could track down or recall at least enough to title.
A Lucius/Narcissa romance, which, in my memory, was slow, well-characterised, and thoughtful. I have no idea whether it holds up today, but fourteen-year-old me was really struck by it.
2. Doctor Who Season Four by aria
A long plotty Doctor/Master fic - ultimately a fix-fic for season three, wherein the Master lives and is taken in by the Doctor, and plot ensues.
The Academy-era Doctor Who fic to which all other Doctor/Master fics are compared to. Possibly my favourite fic ever.
I loved Eagle of the Ninth as a child, and when I recently discovered that it had long slow-burn plotty romance fanfiction, I was beyond delighted.
Alexander the Great writes an arrogant self-absorbed teenage diary and wishes he was Achilles. I feel like the premise is unique enough on its own.
The Hetalia/1984 crossover you never knew you wanted and still have nightmares about.
A long Arthur/Eames series. They're both music students. This one sticks in my head because it was the first fic a very good friend of mine recommended to me.
Lucy Saxon has a story, and also agency. This is one of those things I never realised Doctor Who series 3 was missing until I found.
I am not usually one for the tragic, and god knows Les Mis doesn't need bonus tragedy, but, um, this one just worked for me.
10. This last one I cannot currently find, but it was a fic in which the Master travelled back in time to seduce a young Doctor by way of pretending to be his lecturer. I think time travel used for totally devious purposes just stuck with me.
So I was torn for a while between writing a list of things I would enjoy in the next season of Doctor Who, and going all out and writing an entire plot. I discussed it with my sister, and we went for the latter. The short version: I like Time Lords, stand-alone episodes, Romana and Doctor/Master interactions. The long version is under the cut.
( The silliest Doctor Who season we've had in a while... )
If you still want to prompt me something, I've got lots of space left, and the link is up there at the top of the post.
It also means that c) I failed Nanowrimo, but I was not all that invested in my novel, so that would be the problem, and also the reason for lack of disappointment on this front.
By way of suggestions, I am happy to talk about a range of fiction and fanfiction tropes; anything about what I've been reading; fandoms including Harry Potter, Les Mis, Supernatural, Doctor Who; non-fandom stuff of all kinds; personal interests...and anything else you should wish to throw at me.
If you want to make me practise my Japanese or Mandarin, feel free...
3 If I were in charge of the next season of Doctor Who...
7 Queer interpretations of history
10 Things that not everyone knows about where I'm from
12 Favourite things about Yuletide
13 My first fandom
19 Favourite non-fandom things to do to relax
22 About learning Japanese
26 Favourite fic tropes
So, have fun?